You will not believe how simple this lovely cake is! 5 ingredients and 35 minutes in the oven leads to a sweetly fragranced cake, perfect for serving with a dollop of sweetened crème fraîche or cream & a lovely cup of coffee. It’s all about the honey in this recipe so try to use one with a clear, strong flavour. In an ideal world I would use Greek Thimari (thyme) honey but that would mean travelling to Greece..not a bad idea actually. Anyway, here in SA I like to use Blue Gum or Orange blossom honey but use whatever you like!
P.S. There is no raising agent or egg in this recipe so the cake will not rise! Don’t be alarmed!
- 300g clear runny honey
- 100g soft butter
- 125 ml milk
- 150g plain flour, sieved
- 30g flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 180 °c
- Beat the honey with the butter until smooth
- Add the milk a little bit at a time alternating with the flour until the batter is smooth
- Pour the batter into a prepared cake tin
- Sprinkle with the almonds and bake for 35-40 minutes until lightly browned & a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with sweetened crème fraîche or lightly whipped cream